We Call It The Syndicated Feeds Channel. You Can Call It Whatever You Wish.
Each mobile site you create at Winksite includes a “Syndicated Feeds” channel. Using this channel as a mobile feed reader allows you to connect to your favorite Weblogs and news feeds while on the go.
How To Get Started In Under 3 Minutes
- Sign up for a FREE Winksite account. (30 seconds)
- Set-up a basic mobile site. (30 seconds)
- Toggle on the “Syndicated Feeds” channel. (1 click, 1 second)
- Subscribe to your favorite feeds. (Up to you)
- Fire up your mobile web browser. (3-5 seconds)
- Point to your personalized Winksite address. (5-10 seconds)
- Start reading.
Feature highlights include:
- Offered FREE of charge to individuals and non-profit organizations for non-commercial use.
- Works on ALL web-enabled phones, PDAs and PCs (i.e. Phone, SmartPhone, HipTop/Sidekick, Pocket PC, Palm, BlackBerry, Desktop PC & Mac)
- Works on ALL open carrier networks worldwide.
- Browser-based and hassle free. No download or installation required.
- Supports feeds in ALL major formats (RSS, RDF, and Atom)
- Feeds are delivered to you fresh on demand.
- Populate your mobile feed reader with feeds available in our Feed Directory (1000’s of feeds in dozens of categories).
- Enter your favorite feeds. No limits imposed on the number of feeds you can subscribe to.
- Create an unlimited number of categories to organize your feeds
- Import and Export feed subscription lists in OPML (allows interoperation with other RSS applications). OPML Import via file upload or web address includes a wizard to confirm which feeds are imported and what categories they get placed within.
- Supports OPML export of your feed subscriptions.
- Read headlines, descriptions (summaries), and if available – full content feeds.
- Auto-pagination. Insures large items are digestible on memory-starved mobile devices.
- Read items with your browsers default preferences for small, medium, or large fonts.
- Ability to send items to an email address.
- Opens original content link in your handset’s default web browser.
- Personalize the display name of the “Syndicated Feeds” channel on your mobile site.
- Support for the extended Latin encoding.
- Future plans include image, audio & video support.
Now For The Twist. Content + People + Mobile Device = Mobile Community.
The “Syndicated Feeds” channel can also be used for publishing feeds to a community. Unlike other mobile feed readers, the feeds you subscribe to at Winksite can be shared with the visitors to your mobile site. This single difference changes the potential of how feed syndication can be utilized in a mobile environment.
Accessing various categories of feeds from your mobile device while “on the go” seems to make so much more sense than from your desktop. For example, combinations of content, weather and event feeds can be combined to support the development of city guides and directories.
Furthermore, you can choose to activate ancillary mobile channels (i.e. mobile chat, forum, community blog and polls) that transforms this mobile content space into a communication, collaboration and coordination space.
Consider using the “Syndicated Feeds” channel to organize and publish the following types of feeds:
- New Homes – realtors can provide updated feeds of new home listings on the market
- Job Openings – placement firms and newspapers can provide a classifieds feed of job vacancies
- Auction Items – auction vendors can provide feeds containing items that have been recently added to eBay or other auction sites
- Forum Headlines – support forums can provide a listing of new forum threads
- Product Sales or Specials – one look at Amazon opens the mind to the endless product sale potential using RSS. Currently Amazon delivering a headline-view of the top 10 bestsellers in that category or set of search results
- Airlines – report flight delays
- Schools – schools can relay homework assignments and quickly announce school cancellations
- Entertainment – listings of the latest tv programs or movies at local theatres
- Press Distribution – feed for press with new releases
- News & Announcements – headlines, notices and any list of announcements
- Calendars – listings of past or upcoming events, deadlines or holidays
- Search results – to let people track changing or new results to their searches
Note: List courtesy of RSS Specifications.
Note: Please respect the rights of feed providers. Many feeds are provided for personal and non commercial use only. Use in non-commercial community settings is subject to interpretation.
2 thoughts on “Mobile Feed Reader With A Twist”